Glam Rock Me Baby!

Glam Rock Me Baby!

GlamZazzy

I’m a child of the 70s, so glam rock is where it’s at for me! I saw Elton at the Garden in ’76 when he dressed up as the Statue of Liberty and rose up from a trap door in the stage floor. In an instant, my mind was opened to a new world of anything goes! It was that and all the smoke.

Topping the list of my favorites are David Bowie and Freddy Mercury of Queen. In the early 80s, they collaborated on an amazing song and video called “Under Pressure.” The video looks like a mashup you’d see on the web today, completely ahead of its time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWca8OGaR0U .
While I’m laying down some basic tracks, I initially need vocals. We can use them as reference tracks as we go along, or we may keep them, who knows? For now, vocals is what I need.”Under Pressure” resonates more today than during the Reagan era that it was born to.  This song begs for a revisit in the 21st century using the 21st century’s capability for crowdsourcing. So, what say you, campers and all those DS106 people out there? Help me with the first step.

Please do me the favor of uploading a track of your singing, shouting, talking, or overdramatically-reading the lyrics to the song Under Pressure. Please do it acapella (that means no instrumentation, just your voice). If you are off-key, that’s what autotune is for, if we need to. I kinda like offkey. I will be laying down the initial tracks in the original E flat major if you are musically inclined. Otherwise, on-key is optional 🙂

The lyrics are here:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/queen/underpressure.html

How to upload and record? Get a SoundCloud account. You caneither record right there or upload right there. Then, put your track in the “Zazzy Under Pressure” group at http://soundcloud.com/groups/zazzy-under-pressure .

Looking forward to hearing you explore your vocal chops, as they say in the “BIZ.”

11 Responses

1. Pingback: Letter Home from Camp Magic Macguffin (week 1) - CogDogBlog

2. Yes — I would hope a video comes out of this as well. I want to have enough tracks down mid-summer that folks can then take it and submit footage. Open to suggestions!

3. Really wanted to sing, but didn’t have a place to do it where I wouldn’t seriously cause some cranky kids to wake up. Instead, you have 16 bars of snaps and claps to loop through the piece, enjoy!

4. Pingback: Under Pressure | Tim Owens

5. I’d never seen the music video, and you are so right about the poignancy it has for our times. The street sign “Wall Street” made me gasp. So thanks for sharing this amazing video and for a brilliant collaborative assignment! Oh, and for accepting my offkey contribution. Or maybe more like off-beat 😉

6. I want in on this party, you have assignments here, I am feeling the pressure 🙂 Too fun, and what can be more beautiful than Elton as Lady Liberty?

7. For sure it resonated in the 80s. But when I re-read the lyrics and saw the imagery in the video for the first time in years, I was struck by how things have deteriorated since then, and how, if one wanted to, the footage could easily be substituted with footage from today. Thanks so much for participating!

8. I don’t know, I remember the song resonating with me pretty strongly in the Reagan era. But it does really feel right for now – brilliant choice.

I just listened to the song and decided I will fulfill my role as Doo Wop Girl and I’ll send you several a capella tracks. Hand claps. Finger snaps. Plus different styles of both singers’ parts. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. It can be epic!